Winter Wedding - Brides wants 20% discount

Started Jul 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
PenguinPhotoCo
Senior MemberPosts: 5,994Gear list
Like?
a different way to value your work
In reply to Jonathan Siegel, Aug 2, 2012

While i don't know the exact budgets of the couples I work for, I can come pretty close.

How much, as a percentage of their total budget/money spent, do you think the photographer should get?

5%, 10%, 15%, 20%, more?

I know, you want $5000. But if the wedidng costs $100k you're not getting nearly as much of their overall money as if it cost $15k.

So I view the percentage, more so than the absolute dollar, as how much they value you and your work.

According to this http://www.theweddingreport.com/bz/index.php/average-wedding-cost-falls-one-tenth-of-a-percent-in-q1-q2-2012/

If a bride gets the whole deal - eSession, shoot, album, prints, files she's spending 12.1% of her wedding budget on photography.

OK...I rarely sell an eSession so that should be lower for me. Do you sell albums? Most photogs don't these days so again, this percentage would be lower for you/them as well, approx 10.4%.

For most of my weddings I'm getting 15% - last wedding was about 20% and for my next wedding I'm prolly close to 30% ($2250 and there's only 10 guests total at a bed and breakfast for 4 hours).

A precentage takes your markets prices into account.

And from talking to vendors here these survey figures are quite close to what brides are spending here.

-- hide signature --

Before everything else, getting ready is the secret of success. -Henry Ford

PenguinPhotoCo's gear list:PenguinPhotoCo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow