Using Canon Speedlite with remote trigger

Started Jul 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Batzorig
Forum MemberPosts: 56Gear list
Like?
Re: Using Canon Speedlite with remote trigger
In reply to ChrisBurch, Aug 2, 2012

Thanks for all the informative messages. As ChrisBurch suggested a basic trigger is probably enough for a beginner like myself. I don't use Speedlites often. This is the only project that I need to shoot outdoors. I have a basic remote trigger for studio strobes and found out that it was not compatible with Speedlites. So I ordered a set of Yongnuo RF-603.

I was experimenting with my Nissin DI-866, and I found that the zoom detection of the TTL mode is not very accurate. As I turn the lens to a different zoom setting, the zoom ratio on the flash hits and misses the actual lens zoom. For example, while on TTL, my Canon 24-105mm L lens could be on 50mm, but the flash display shows 35mm. When I turn the lens to close to 100mm, the flash display shows 85mm. And another thing I noticed was that the flash reading of the zoom has only limited set of numbers such as 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 70mm, 85mm, and 105mm. It never showed numbers such as 30, 45, 60, 65, 75, 90, 100 etc.

So I am wondering if I should have bought the Canon 580 EX. Although the price is twice as much, Canon could hold its value even when reselling. But I may be wrong, I still have to play with it more.
--
Bat

Batzorig's gear list:Batzorig's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow