Dell Precision T3400 - advice re upgrade

Started Jul 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
sailorman
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
Re: I would not "upgrade" either new computer or
In reply to Richard, Aug 2, 2012

Richard,

Thanks for your posting - yes, my preferred plan was to 'upgrade' my T3400 (a Dell 'tower-like' workstation).

Great input re the 'blue screen' [& thanks to dmartin for even trying to put a probability on my resolving the issue] - I had assumed that an upgrade to new OS / hard-drives would be an 'automatic' solution.

The blue screen happens at night - I think triggered by a virus scan I have scheduled within 'Malawarebytes' software.
I can clarify that the 'blue screen' quotes a '77' reference & not '7B'.

However, I have exhausted my computer skills (run all windows 'diagnostic' tests at startup + installed 'Driver Manager' software - albeit with only partial success in using it).
[Not sure I feel equipped to try Linus OS, dmartin, but thanks for suggestion].

Next steps:

(i) get myself a can of 'air', open up the case and blow off the dust which will have accumulated;
(ii) try phoning Dell (I think my service contract is still live)

(iii) buy a new machine - while a higher cash outlay in the short term it will likely save me time for more important things (like taking photos) + I can upgrade to a quieter machine!

Once again, thanks Richard & dmartin for taking time to try to help - much appreciated.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow