D7000 and the Sigma 17-70

Started Aug 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
westerner
Contributing MemberPosts: 845Gear list
Like?
Re: D7000 and the Sigma 17-70
In reply to frank5678, Aug 2, 2012

I own the D7000 and Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 lens. It is my most used lens on that body. I also own the Tokina 11-16 f2.8, the Nikon 50mm f1.8G and the Tamron 70-300 VC. I have the Nikon 24-70 and 70-200 VRII also, but seldom use them on the D7000 (these are mostly used my D700).

My experience with this lens is mixed - it is very, very sharp in the center, even wide open. Enough so, that many images rival the pro lenses in sharpness. However, the sides and corners are less sharp, particularly at wider focal lengths (17-35 or so). 50-70mm is really nice all the way across, and you still have faster aperture than the Nikons. There is some distortion, also, at the wider end. However, Lightroom 4 corrects it quite well. BTW, both Nikon lenses have distortion at wide angle too...most wide zooms do (even the 24-70).

It is nice to be able to shoot the Sigma in lower light without flash, and macros are simply amazing (you can touch the subject with the end of the lens at 70mm and shoot in-focus...can't do that with the 16-85 or 18-105). OS is as good as Nikon VR and AF is fast and accurate.

I plan on getting a refurbished 18-105 for outdoor group shots and general landscape/hiking use for times when I do not need macro or need the image sharp all the way across, such as group photos. The Sigma is not the best for that, but does have it's strengths. Individual portraits are super sharp with great contrast, and indoor family photos turn out real nice. And don't forget those macros! I will keep it along with the 18-105 and use it for specific circumstances. It will simply not replace the Tokina for wide landscape shots, or the Nikon for group photos.

If you are looking for one lens to cover this range, keep your 18-105. I feel the 16-85 is too expensive for the marginal improvement in sharpness, and you lose at the telephoto end, a bit more than you gain at the wide end.

-- hide signature --

K.B.

westerner's gear list:westerner's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow