G1X - Speed

Started Aug 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
Carlos C
Regular MemberPosts: 353Gear list
Like?
Re: G1X - Speed
In reply to mcslsk, Aug 2, 2012

mcslsk wrote:

That's how this camera operates. I guess to make it faster it would take two DiGi5 processors and a different kind of buffer memory. I am only speculating here but a lot of the image quality that we see from the G1X appears to be in-camera software related. Ever noticed that it takes some time in DPP to render a RAW-image completely? There is an image instantly but it takes time before it appears perfectly crisp and sharp. Even on fast PC. Now, this may just be a bug in DPP or it needs long to process a G1X image which could be a reason for the relatively slow performance of the G1X.

Mcslsk,

I know we are speculating here. I agree with your first sentence. Needing two digi5 processors I do not think so. Canon is notorious for dumming down cameras to assure other profitable lines do not hurt; cannot say I blame them, it seems to work for them.

I is not good for us, but I am sure that canon can easily speed things up by making minor tweaks that would not add too much cost. Buffer memory may need to be increased, big whoop. They could do it but then less people will by their low end dSLR.
Again, I know we are speculating.

Have the G1X and are getting a lot better working around its limitations. Must say was not happy initially and thought of returning it, but now no way I will. Love the IQ and the size. My dslr's are staying home a lot this days.

Carlos C's gear list:Carlos C's gear list
Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow