Anyone using LA-AE2 with Nex-7? How's the handling?

Started Aug 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
dovla
New MemberPosts: 22Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone using LA-AE2 with Nex-7? How's the handling?
In reply to CollinFX45, Aug 1, 2012

My "sports" kit consists of the Nex-7 and LA-EA2 adapter with Sony 35/1.8, 85/2.8 and Minolta 135/2.8 lenses. I use it for occasional shooting of my kids sports activities. The focusing speed and tracking ability is very good (although not as sophisticated as on the high-end DSLRs).

The only issue I found is with the Minolta 135/2.8 lens which would sometimes lock up in the 10fps mode and require battery removal to start working again. This is probably due to the lens not having enough electronic contacts to provide sufficient info like distance etc. (issue never happens with the other two Sony lenses which both have distance encoders).

Overall, the above combo handles very well and the size and usability feels right to me. Focal length of 135mm is probably the max I would go with for handheld shooting without an additional form of stabilization (I was tempted to get the excellent Minolta 200/2.8 lens, but gave up due to stabilizaton concerns and the overall size of the combo going well to DSLR territory although the lens itself is fairly small and light for such a fast/long lens).

dovla's gear list:dovla's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E2 Apple Aperture
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow