Started Aug 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hallma1
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Blending Subject and Background Photos With Chromakey
Aug 1, 2012

Sorry if this is a duplicate. If I have overlooked the topic with my search please point me to the link.

Here's the quandary. I have digital photos (JPEGs) that I want to use as a backdrop. I have digital photos of the subjects I want to place on the backdrop (the subjects are in RAW format, so I can covert them to whatever I want). I'm enjoying raving success joining the subject with the backdrop. Now, how do I "match" the photographs.

There are obvious differences in lighting and what I will describe as texture. I have adjusted various color and lighting attributes with the RAW subject images. I have done the same with the subject layer in the merged photo. Regardless of what I do, I haven't found the secret to making the subject and backdrop appear to be in the original photo; it's obvious that they are blended. The backdrop always looks like a flat finish while the subject is always shiny. I think my problem is relating to the different lighting used to create the original photos, but I can't figure out how to tweak them.

I use UFRaw and Bibble 5 for RAW editing. I am using GIMP 2.6 for photo editing, merging the layers, touching up subjects, etc.

TIA,

Mark

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow