Started Aug 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MrSynthetic
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?
Nikon FF-user loving his E-M5 (12 pics)
Aug 1, 2012

So, I recently sold all my HEAVY Nikon-gear (D700 + D3 with array of heavy glass) after trying out E-M5 in my local brick and mortar.

I previously tried downsizing to the D7000 but never liked the pictures, and I would place the E-M5 somewhere between the D7000 and the D3/D700 in terms of picture quality - YMMV.

The lenses, however, are what sets m43 apart: Nifty little primes that you can shoot wide open - can't believe how small they are - and I always stopped my FF lenses down anyway either due to picture quality or need of more DOF, so I very rarely miss FF (only full body portraits ...).

The face detection in the E-M5 is nothing short of phenomenal. My portrait keeper-rate has gone up by a million and I don't have to kneel, crouch etc. in crazy positions to look through the viewfinder when shooting. Now I can just hold out my camera in one arm, wait for the white box to appear and still get a great portrait - wow!!! My life just got a whole lot easier:-)

Oh, and I can carry my entire gear (12mm, 25mm, 45mm, 12-50mm, E-M5 + grip and iPad) in a small shoulder bag (Billingham Hadley Small) ALL DAY LONG.

Only thing missing in my bag is a fast supertele (Photokina, please!!!)

In terms of video capabilities I need much higher video bitrate and focus peaking. Other than that, I'm a happy camper:-)

These pictures are from the first month or so (the two missed focus portraits are with Nikon 105 2.0 DC with adapter, the rest with the primes except boardwalk/jellyfish (12-50)). C&C very welcome.

Nikon D3 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow