Anyone using LA-AE2 with Nex-7? How's the handling?

Started Aug 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CollinFX45
Regular MemberPosts: 180Gear list
Like?
Anyone using LA-AE2 with Nex-7? How's the handling?
Aug 1, 2012

Hi All,

I've been using a m4/3 setup for a while now and have been lusting after the NEX-7 for a long time. It's starting to make more and more sense for me as I realize what it can offer me in terms of features. The lack of EVF on my Pen cameras was frustrating in some regards, so I bought the VF-2. It's an okay solution, but I'd still rather have one built-in. Anyway, that's not the debate here.

I have an A850 and a few "FF" lenses which are pretty darn bulky and heavy. I do, however, have a few smaller Minolta lenses that may actually handle pretty well on the NEX-7 and I wanted to get some opinions on using the camera with that adapter. I mean if it gets huge and doesn't handle well, it would be smarter for me to just buy an A65. The lenses I'm interested in using are a Minolta 24/2.8, the 50/1.4 and the 135/2.8. I also have an 85/1.4, but I think that's going to push the practical limit of a "portable" camera. My shooting style varies, but I'm interested in something I can carry around on vacations with a lens or two. Basically what I use my m4/3 setup for now.

Anyway, the simple question is how you guys (and gals) find the NEX-7 to handle with the LA-AE2 adapter and some Minolta/Sony. If it's acceptable, I think I could sort of enjoy the benefits of a "combined" system going all-Sony. I think with my 135/2.8 being so small for a telephoto, it would offer a very nice 200mm-ish equivalent focal distance without a huge weight penalty. That's something I don't have currently.

Anyhow, thanks so much for your thoughts!

-Collin-

CollinFX45's gear list:CollinFX45's gear list
Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A65
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow