canon 5dMII vs Nikon D7000

Started Jul 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
joger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,422Gear list
Like?
Re: canon 5dMII vs Nikon D7000
In reply to salamander1, Aug 1, 2012

and that's what it should be all about - even though I've planned to go there and took a camera with me it does not mean it was an easy shot - like some expressed before

The 5D II is simply a very good tool - nothing more nothing less. There are slightly better tools but if I would go for every incremental better tool I'd end up buying a new oven every two years, a new TV set every other year and a new car every three years when the next infinitesimal better model comes out

If you have very fine instruments you might measure some differences between the 5D II and III in prints - yet I would not believe that the MK III would win in perceivable image quality.

What most of us do is to tweak the files and reduce noise and sharpen the images and add light . . .

The tweaked end result differs most of the time a lot from the initial image - it is more balanced and more to the point of what I intended to shoot. The tool has a minor effect on that.

Only a bigger step forward would bring extra head room for tweaking - like more pixels to crop. The RAW file quality of the MK III does not excel the MK II that much that it would be worth mentioning it - even though it might feel better - but would I buy a new knife because it just feels better (which is a very vague measure)

Let's get to the point - if you know what you're doing the 5D II can't be significantly beaten in image quality in the Canon eco system (fps aside). It can be beaten with other systems but also here the grass is not really greener - there are lot's of things to be considered.

I love shooting - and I would highly recommend the 5D II if you are on a budget - it is the best budget tool you might ever own - maybe a 7D as high speed option or a 7D II in a few months as a 2nd body and you're done for a long time

Happy you like the shot!!

salamander1 wrote:
this is truly a breathtaking shot!

-- hide signature --

isn’t it funny, a ship that leaks from the top

ISO 9000 definition of quality: 'Degree to which a set of inherent characteristic fulfills requirements'
I am the classic “Windows by Day, Mac by Night user'

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YupNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow