Started Aug 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rich the Hiker
Regular MemberPosts: 373
Like?
G1X viewfinder, really!
Aug 1, 2012

Recently got a G1X after reading lots on this forum. The viewfinder is a strange one, only 77% coverage, no electronic shooting info etc.

Ive read some people's views that they would much rather have a viewfinder that isn't great, than none at all etc, ....

Basically if it is too bright to shoot with the LCD screen, there is the option to shoot with the viewfinder, albeit totally blind, as although you can see the scene in the OVF, you don't know how much of the scene will be captured, can see no info on what aperture or exposure settings you have chosen (or not), can't see any histogram for under or over-exposure, so really is it just hit and hope? Can't really see the point of it if it doesn't show both the scale of the image and the exposure settings.....

I guess the safest and best thing to do if shooting in v bright conditions is angle the LCD to some angle where you can see that you are shooting in RAW + JPEG and f4.5 and then just look through the OVF and shoot, either that or choose the Green Auto mode and hope the camera does a good job of taking the correct exposure.

Really, I can't see why 'experts' think it is a great thing that the OVF has been included at all when it provides little or no advantage to putting the camera in Auto mode and pointing the LCD screen roughly at the subject matter in bright sunlight conditions. I guess the OVF will probably help a little with framing and maybe levelling the horizon versus a rough guesstimate with a 'blind' LCD hoping for the best. Is this the only condition when you G1X users would use the OVF, and do you set the camera to Av and f4.5 etc prior to venturing into the sunshine, or do you only use the OVF in Auto or P mode where the camera chooses the exposure for you?

If someone can give me a couple of good reasons to use the OVF or when using it is an advantage, then I'll go out and give it a try myself to hopefully like this G1X even more. Great handling and IQ! Just v confused about the worth of the OVF, wish it was an EVF maybe....with shooting info.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow