How bad is the 14-42 mk I that bundles with the E-PL1?

Started Aug 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Marcos Villaroman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,268Gear list
Like?
How bad is the 14-42 mk I that bundles with the E-PL1?
Aug 1, 2012

Greetings,

I just bought a refurb E-PL1 kit from Cameta for $190. I figured it was a cheap way to play with m43 and see if it's worth investing into it.

I'm reading that the the 14-42 kit lens has "Potential shake problems 35-42mm at 1/100 to 1/200 sec due to "loose" barrel construction" at sites such as http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~parsog/olyepl1/21-epl1-vs-epl2.html

Doing quick searches, I see a number of people upgrading to the mk II version. I'm hesitating do so right now because I think buying a VF-2 and an adapter so that I can use some of my Canon primes might be a better way to go.

So the question: Do you feel that the 14-42 mk I is so bad that I should immediately upgrade to the mk II? Have people been able to work around the problem? [It's going to be interesting seeing how well I adjust to the controls of the PL1 as it is]

Thanks!
Marcos

Marcos Villaroman's gear list:Marcos Villaroman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +39 more
Olympus PEN E-PL1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow