Finally got angry about lack of 35mm equivalent

Started Jul 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
chris blaubac
Forum MemberPosts: 85
Like?
Re: Let's see...two Sony lenses for your NEX...
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, Aug 1, 2012

I imagine you spent some time getting focus on those Einsteinsghost (nice shots by the way).

In street photography when you lift the camera to your eye you might have 2 seconds maximum to get focus, and only enough time for one shot. I've sometimes managed this at f1.4 with my takumar 50 or my VC Nokton 40 (easier with this because it has a focus tab and you feel where the focus position is) - but generally the miss-rate is high.

Also when shooting street you don't always lift the camera to your eye at all. Here the only way to get focus is to either have it pre-set (zone or hyperfocal focus) - or to use auto-focus - which will sometimes lock on correctly for you and give you a keeper. I have sometimes got perfect focus shooting the sony 50mm f1.8 from the hip.

That's why manual focus is not always useful for wide-open street shooting. If you're working at f8 then you can simply set the focus to the hyperfocal distance and take great shots all day long without ever needing to focus (which is what I often do) - but if you want to shoot wide open this will not work.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow