Travel & Hiking Japan -- which lenses to bring/buy?

Started Aug 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kutserma
New MemberPosts: 15Gear list
Like?
Travel & Hiking Japan -- which lenses to bring/buy?
Aug 1, 2012

Hi there!

I am going for a three week trip to Japan in late September with my wife. We will visit the big cities of course, but also plan to see a fair bit of the countryside, search for a couple of "onsen" (japanese hot springs) and do some hiking in the Japanese Alps.

I am wondering... what lenses to bring with my OM-D? I already have:

• Oly 9-18

• Pana 14 2,5

• Pana 20 1,7

• PanaLeica 25 1,4

• Pana 14-45

• Pana 14-140

for city tours I most recently enjoyed taking a small and light three lens kit: 9-18, 25 and 14-45.

But perhaps it would be nice to have more "reach" outside of the cities? Just take the 14-140 and be done?!

I was contemplating getting the 12-35 to replace my 14-45 -- I think I would really enjoy the 12mm wide compared to the 14, but don't think I really need the extra 1 stop (for lowlight 25mm and 14mm are better anyhow). Also... the 12-35 at amazon.co.jp is just 77,000JPY ... much cheaper than €1100 here -- is it realistic to get the same/similar price at the Tokio camera stores, or should I buy here if I decide to buy it?

Next thought was to get a 45-150 (either Oly or new Pana) and leave the 14-140 at home (its quite heavy...) OR get a 100-300 to really get some reach for wildlife.... just not sure if there really will be that much opportunities to use it and if it's not too havy to take it for a hike/(easy) climb anyhow?

what do you think? anyone with some Japan experience around?

kutserma's gear list:kutserma's gear list
Sony RX100 II
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow