Started Aug 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jdrx2012
Regular MemberPosts: 164
Like?
A Rumination on the RX100 for HDR enthusiasts; a quick assessment
Aug 1, 2012

Talking beyond the in-camera HDR mode which I tried (I prefer the HDR painting effect for a some scenes) how does the auto exposure bracketing limited range (.7 + -) work in practice?

Well, after shooting dozens of bracketed exposure shots it works pretty well for scenes that do not have extreme dynamic range in them and not so well for the brightest contrast scenes. Comparing it to the Nex 5n(which I owned!) it is not quite as effective for HDR but, then again, the 5n itself was plagued(sorry, HDR shooters may well think this too) with a very limited bracket range. This translates to an inability to catch highlights and shadow detail in the most contrasty scene. When you can get this sort of detail, your bracketed set can produce some great output.

Of course, an exposure bracket range of + - 2 would do fine. For its present models, Sony saves that kind of bracketing for the a77.

For another comparison, I point to the Samsung NX200/201. They have a bracket exposure ability of + - 3! This proved to be extremely capable but the OLED screen difficult to see due to reflectivity in bright light.

So, HDR enthusiasts shouldn't flock to the RX100 for that style of shooting. I am not sure where that leaves me, as someone who likes to bracket maybe 50% of my shots. RX100 has many other strengths that may keep me engaged with it, at least until the Samsung NX20(evf plus articulating OLED) gets a hefty price reduction!

-- hide signature --

Joe D.

Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow