Daypack - Alternatives to Lowepro ComouDay Photo 250?

Started Aug 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Graham Chile
New MemberPosts: 5Gear list
Like?
Daypack - Alternatives to Lowepro ComouDay Photo 250?
Aug 1, 2012

Hi any suggestions for a general purpose daypack?

I am looking for a smallish comfortable daypack that I can carry everyday, with or without my camera. Nikon D5100 with either 55-200 or 18-55 attached must have quick access to camera (the other lens could be in the main body of the bag). I would like at least 50% space not dedicated to camera equipment

In addition it must take a lightweight jacket or fleece, Kindle and small 12" laptop (I would not normally carry the laptop, so could put up with some discomfort when carrying it) plus water bottle (at least 500cc/1 pint) preferable on the outside. I want to be able to take my camera with me even if I don´t expect to be taking photos. I don´t want a bag to carry all my gear (my Billingham shoulder bag rarely got used because it was too heavy and uncomfortable when loaded).

Unfortunately the few camera shops in Chile have very little choice in camera bags, so I will be buying unseen.

I have looked at reviews of several bags:

Lowepro CompuDay Photo 250 looks the best fit I have come across so far, but has 2 major drawbacks for me - does not stand upright unsupported and no rain cover, also possibly a bit small.

Lowepro Versapack - laptop won´t fit

Lowepro Fastpack 250 - no rain cover, doesn´t look as if camera partitions easily removable, possibly a bit large. The Video Fastpack 250 has a rain cover but seems to sacrifice some of the non camera space and is a lot more expensive.

Kata KT DR467i - looks ideal except no fast access to camera

Kata 3N1 - looks interesting, but number of owners switching to DR467i because of poor use of space

Any othe options I should be looking at?

Graham Chile's gear list:Graham Chile's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +3 more
Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow