Unsatisfied with 50mm options for Canon

Started Jul 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
ugly1
Forum MemberPosts: 85Gear list
Like?
Picked up the Siggy 50mm F/1.4 piggy? ;)
In reply to ugly1, Aug 1, 2012

Ok, just got back from the store, Pro Photo Supply in Oregon.

I got myself the Sigma 50mm F/1.4 for $449.99. Initial photos at f/1.4 look to be pretty soft. But will be testing the lens more vigorously in the coming days. Have 14 days to return.

Will you guys PLEASE set me straight on this matter? It is my expectation, that a fast prime lens shot wide open should at least be sharp at the point of focus. The rest needs to just melt away. I am a people photog and edge to edge sharpness is not that important to me. Getting off track here...Is it wrong for me to expect or desire that? Is that simply impractical or physically impossible?

Back to the Siggy piggy. The few shots I have taken and viewed at 10x zoom on the back of my 5D2, looks pretty bad...whether usable soft or unusable soft is yet to be determined.

I will post back with some sample photos. Although I don't know how to post TRUE 100% crops, I will try.

Also, is the 10x zoom when reviewing images on the camera LCD the same as 100% view on a PC monitor?

Thank you for your help.

ugly1's gear list:ugly1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow