Started Aug 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Encephalartos
Forum MemberPosts: 77
Like?
a day with the Canon 28mm 2.8 IS USM
Aug 1, 2012

I have been wondering about getting a 35mm or a 28mm lens for my 7D for a few months now. I looked into the 35mm 1.4L but was too expensive. and I also looked into the 28mm 1.8 but it seems to not be all that sharp when reading reviews.

when the 24mm and 28mm 2.8 IS were announced a few months ago they looked interesting manly for the video aspects. but I am a little unsure about the 2.8 aperture. I am in the UK and the 28mm 2.8 IS is £729!!, but at the moment I am doing research in the USA and the same lens is $799 dollars.

On Sunday night decided to take the plunged and buy the 28mm for next day delivery. I got the lens today, my first impressions are that it is light and feels quite well made. it seems to have the feel of the newer EF-S lenses 15-85 (which I do not own) and does not come with hood and case. to be honest the lens does not feel like an $800 lens. But does have much better build than the 50mm 1.4 USM and the 28mm 1.8 USM.

but when using the lens it focuses very fast and quite close and its accurate with a nice and very smooth manual focus ring (although narrow). also I find the lens to be very sharp right from wide open and even in the corners (although I am using a 7D, so I do not see the far corners). and the colours are as good as my L lenses so I am quite happy with it and I am looking forward to trying it for video

I am happy with this little lens although it does not feel $800 and I do not get the price Canon has put on it.

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow