Nikon 70-200 F2.8 VR II with 2X III extender for BIRDS

Started Jul 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Michel F
Senior MemberPosts: 1,771
Like?
Re: I get superb results from that combo.
In reply to Lance B, Jul 31, 2012

Lance B wrote:

Michel F wrote:

Great shots Lance but with some heavy post processing done.

Thank you very much, but in reality, there was not heavy post processing.

I shouldn't have used the word "heavy" as it is subjective. Only you know what you did. Let's just say that I've never seen sharpness like that on any of the pictures I've come across with that combo. Not even close in fact. Perhaps you have a super sample of both lenses.

Mind you, I have nothing against post processing (don't we all do it ?) but we were comparing straight out of the camera images from the 70-200 VR or VRII alone vs with TC-20E III.

It is to be expected that IQ would take a hit when using a 2x TC as opposed to without, but I mean, who would expect it to be any different? Also, "straight of the camera images"? Why is straight out of the camera images what we are limited to?

Camera originals at 100% crop (or digital negatives) are the only way to visually compare lenses for sharpness, bokeh, micro contrast, color, etc. When trying to assess the raw quality of a particular lens, post processing only creates confusion.

The point is, other than use the 400mm f2.8 VR, either of the the 300's + 1.4x TCII or the 80-400 VR, the 70-200 f2.8 VRII + 2x TCIII is the only real route and it is an effective one at that. In fact, if you look at Photozone's testing of the 80-400 VR compared to the 70-200 f2.8 VRI (not VRII) + 2x TCII (not TCIII), and you will see that the 70-200 + TC combo stands up very well to the 80-400. However, the 70-200 f2.8 VRII + 2x TCIII is a better combo and the results would be better again than the 80-400.

Obviously the combo works for you and that's great.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow