ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
thepacifist
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
canon 5dMII vs Nikon D7000
Jul 31, 2012

Hi All

Been an avid reader on these forums but this is my first post. This is my 5th try posting and somehow the forums always throws me an error saying i need to register - so not sure whats going on.

I am a hobbyist photographer who mainly shoots family protraits, parties, a little bit of nature. I would do available light photography often - for e.g a bday party with only candles illuminating the scene etc.

Now I know a comparison between a FF and crop should be clear - but with Nikon's better AF and DR, Im wondering if there is any difference in IQ when viewing mostly on computer screens and small prints.

I do compose my portraits by thirds usually so corner points are important for me.

Can someone with similar requirements as mine comment on the adequacy of 5dMII's AF for my needs?

I do not have lenses for any system but

If I were to go Canon, I would start with the 24-105 and later add te 135 F2 and 17-40. I might also look at fast primes when budget allows.

If I were to go D7K, I would be going with the 18-200 and adding fast primes later.

The Canon L is cheaper than Nikon mid-range zooms - that is one more factor for me "Wanting" the 5dmarkII except the FF factor.

I do shoot RAW and use LR, but do not want t spend considerable time on PP, since I do not get paid for my photos. I usually would do a little NR if required and touching the curves a little bit, since I prefer the portraits a little punchier. I usually do not touch RGB. I do feel that my friend's Nikon D7K is more "color correct" as compared to the 7D I used to own and ran to the ground before handing it away to my little cousin.

Thoughts?

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YupNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow