Started Jul 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ednaz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,364
Like?
The D800 difference...
Jul 31, 2012

I've been shooting only with my D800e since it arrived to figure out what the differences are between it and the D700 I've shot for a few years. Here's a good example of the differences.

Working with my dogs in the yard to evaluate the focus tracking - how different settings work, how smart it is on tracking the face instead of the blob, etc.

Shutter priority, 1/1250 of a second, 200mm. The first picture is the whole frame. On my 30 inch editing monitor, this doesn't look any different than similar images shot with my D700. Same with prints.

This is an 800x800 pixel extract from the image. Specks of flying saliva wouldn't have been visible. You can see individual hairs. Sleeper specks at the corner of his eyes. In another image at a similar distance (about two more feet closer to me, with light from a better angle), I can read his name on his dog tags. In this picture, I can tell that the text side of the tag is out and not the blank side, which is frankly incredible. You can also see that 1/1250 isn't TOTALLY freezing the action, at least not enough to have EVERY hair be sharp. At 12mp, you wouldn't be able to tell.

With this picture, at 120%, I can see the detailed texture of his nose.

This amount of detail will be quite unkind to human beings with normal skin (meaning not perfect). I get very close for portraits, and with the D700 I often found myself softening up skin, almost always on women but very seldom on men, because it wasn't very complimentary to see all the pores. With the D800, you're going to be able to tell which pore is clogged, and what it's clogged with. I bet I'll be using my skin softener routines on executive portraits.

Not complaining, just saying... that level of resolution isn't something we're necessarily going to find useful in every situation.

Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow