Started Jul 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bluestreakrem
Regular MemberPosts: 144
Like?
Lens suggestions for 7D
Jul 31, 2012

I have a Canon 50mm, f1.2L as my only lens at the moment.

I do plan to buy the Canon 70-200, f2.8 in the near future but I feel I need to find a great "Walk Around" lens first. General photography is my thing and will do some wildlife later.

I'm looking for a great, fast "Walk Around" moderate zoom with a fixed F stop of near 2.0. Since this is a crop sensor............I'm thinking 15-18mm on the low end and 80-85mm on the high end. I thought about staying only with Canon stuff until I tried a Sigma 24-70mm, f2.8 HSM the other day. I was impressed with it, but it doesn't have enough range at either end. I'm not too worried about price because I don't mind paying for a great lens if they are worth it.

I've been looking at Canon's EF-S 17-55mm, f2.8 and I like it's performance, but I don't feel it's long enough on the high end. They have the 15-85 but I think it's too slow and I don't like the build quality. I wish it was an L series. My search would be over. Canon doesn't make an L series in the range I want (15-18mm on the low end and 80-85mm on the high end) so I'm willing to consider third party manufactures.

I read Sigam is the largest and best after market lens maker. It that true?

I'm not familiar with the Sigma line models. What models designations are their best lens that use anti-shake and ultrasonic motors similar to Canons?

What lens do yall like for an everyday "Walk Around" lens?

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow