Started Jul 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
corneaboy
Contributing MemberPosts: 563
Like?
New method of focus and recompose
Jul 31, 2012

Focus and recompose suffers a significant error because of the so-called cosine effect, which has been discussed recently in this forum. Briefly, the effect occurs because focusing on an off-axis near subject and then rotatinng the camera to a centered distant object, places the focus at a plane that falls behind the near subject. The error is expressed by a cosine function.

Here is a new approach that corrects for the cosine error but requires no calculations I am not aware of this being used before and would appreciae hearing otherwise.

Say, for example, you want to shoot a near subject located to your left and then center the camera view by rotating the camera to the right. You would:

1. Set the focus point location to the right focus point that is nearest to the same distance from center as the subject is to the left of center. (Yes, I meant right focus point. Humor me.)

2. Rotate the camera to the left so the center of the camera view is to the left of the near subject until the right focus point is aligned on the near subject. The camera view wil now be way to the left.
3. Focus and hold.

4. Rotate the camera to the right until the view is centered and then capture the image.

Try it, Bob Mandell

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow