Unsatisfied with 50mm options for Canon

Started Jul 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
ugly1
Forum MemberPosts: 85Gear list
Like?
Re: Unsatisfied with 50mm options for Canon
In reply to motobloat, Jul 31, 2012

motobloat wrote:

I don't have Canon gear, but a friend who is a wedding photographer uses the Canon 50mm f/1.4. She thought the 50mm f/1.2 was too slow to focus, and the 50mm f/1.8 too cheaply made.

The thing about lens reviews is that people are far more likely to post a negative review about a lens than a positive or mediocre review. Especially on forums. How many people buy the Canon 50mm f/1.4 and have no problems with it?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12140-USA/Canon_2515A003_50mm_f_1_4_USM_Autofocus.html

Look at the user reviews for the lens on B&H. 2300 reviews (for you statisticians, that should be a large enough sample size, eh? lol). It has a 4.7 / 5.0 total rating. 98% would recommend to a friend. Pretty good odds that the lens is fine. Let's say you have a 2% chance of getting a bad one.

I was in a store ready to buy the EF 50mm f/1.4, but the store salesman advised against it! He said the AF motor breaks right as the warranty is about to or has expired! That really turned me off the ef 50 1.4. But I should just get one and see if I have any of the focusing issues....if I do, just return it for a different one!

Thank you for your help.

 ugly1's gear list:ugly1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow