ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ugly1
Forum MemberPosts: 85Gear list
Like?
Unsatisfied with 50mm options for Canon
Jul 31, 2012

HelloW good people of DPR!

I have been trying to get a "better" 50mm lens for my 5D2. I currently have the EF 50mmf/1.8 lens. As much as a great value it is, I really want the smooth USM focusing like my EF 28mm f/1.8 and EF 85mm f/1.8 lenses. Also, I want a little better bokeh.

Option 1: EF 50mm f/1.4- This should be the next step up, but I have read too many posts and such about its auto focus mechanism breaking within a year or so. And the pseudo USM doesn't set very well with me either. My financial limitations absolutely can't justify buying the same $400-ish lens ever other year, or even pay Canon to repair it. Don'e even want to have to pay for the shipping cost!

Option 2: Sigma 50mm f/1.4- I really wanted to buy this lens as it seemed to have everything going for it. Newer design with the glass elements and the build quality, and most importantly, hope! BUT, every other review says that the damn thing won't focus right. That they sent theirs back to Sigma repeatedly and improvement was unsatisfactory. Lots of reviewers updated their initial review saying that they finally returned it, etc.

Option 3: EF 50mm f/1.2L- Now for $1500-ish, this lens should have been absolutely killer! But alas, keep reading about its own focusing issues and ultimately, it's just too damn expensive.

Now I realize this might have bee done to death by now, but I could not help myself.

I am a budding wedding photographer, and the more I shoot, the more I am recognizing that I need a GOOD 50mm. I seem to like that focal length a lot and have been using the 50 1.8. Sometimes I force my self to use the 85 1.8 just so that I don't have to hear the sand-grinding sound of the 50, even if I might have been better served by it.

Those of you how are experts and more objective than I am, will you please shed some light on this matter. I know people make awesome photographs with all these lenses, but that is because they are very skilled and know how to work with and around gear limitations. Sadly, I am not like that. I need the auto focus to lock in an instant and be accurate. I am not a manual focus guy yet. Maybe if I changed out the focusing screen?

Thank you for all you help, and sorry for the long post.

ugly1's gear list:ugly1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +1 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow