Wide angle zoom lens.

Started Jul 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ishpuini
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,040Gear list
Like?
Re: Wide angle zoom lens.
In reply to BarcaFan, Jul 31, 2012

I think the general consensus is that the best ultra wide angle (UWA) zoom currently on the market is the Sigma DC 8-16. I was looking for a UWA for a long time, but never found one that produced satisfying results. The Tokina 11-16/2.8 looked very good and produced beautiful results on other brands, but unfortunately, it was never made in Pentax mount. It wasn't until the Sigma 8-16 that an equivalent in Pentax mount was available. I believe the Sigma 8-16 actually outscores the Tokina.

Though the Sigma 8-16 is a great lens, it does have a downside or two:

• front element protrudes and as such doesn't allow mounting filters

• At 8mm or 9mm, Pentax cameras don't register focal length, which means that, during post processing, automated lens corrections that require the focal length to determine the degree of corrections to be applied, may not function smoothly. This can be fixed manually though (in Lightroom I can select the lens manually and guess the focal length).

Regardless, I love mine.

hth, Wim

-- hide signature --

Belgium, GMT+1

Ishpuini's gear list:Ishpuini's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow