Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,455Gear list
Like?
Re: Agree on "VALUE", but Disagree on "BARGAIN"
In reply to 007peter, Jul 31, 2012

007peter wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

There is much conjecture on this forum about the perceived value of a lens,

I can agree with you here. VALUE is subjective from one photographer to another. For example, 2 lens may share the same COST but have different VALUE to the individuals:

• $199 Panasonic 14-42mm - I don't use it often so VALUE IS LOW

• $199 Sigma 19mm f/2.8 DN - I use it often so VALUE is HIGH

For me, VALUE is predicates on usage of the lens. If you use your Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 on the daily basis, then it is a high value lens (FOR YOU) , even if the cost is rather high.

My current bargain lens is the 7-14mm, one of the most expensive of all the m4/3's lenses. I did buy it for a very good price and could easily recoup my outlay on it as the price has since gone up considerably, however, I'd never sell it. It represents a bargain to me solely based on my usage of it.

This is where I disagree with you. BARGAIN isn't as subjective as like "VALUE" is, but rather it has an OBJECTIVE COST associated with it. "BARGAIN" is identified when one buys a product well below average price . For example

• Paying full price of $580 for Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 isn't a bargain

• Paid $480 for Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 is a BARGAIN, because its significantly below the average price for this lens

Hence, the correct way to describe your Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 to others are:

• (1) Yes, Panny 12-35mm is a High COST lens without BARGAIN

• (2) but it is my Most USED LENS , therefore

• (3) It has become my Most VALUABLE lens

As long as you are HAPPY with your Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8, who cares what other think about your lens? I'm happy your happy, but the same time, I can understand why others call this lens expensive, but it is.

I agree with the definitions here, but I understood what the OP wanted to tell us.

And this is a very personal matter, and a very subjective one.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow