Olympus E620 as a Nikon D200 replacement?

Started Jul 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
petrbur
Senior MemberPosts: 1,093
Like?
Re: Olympus E620 as a Nikon D200 replacement?
In reply to MarkusF, Jul 31, 2012

MarkusF wrote:

So that means if I want to go for a better model I need the older E-30 or the newer but drastically more expensive E-5 right?

I used to have E-620 and my (biased) opinion is it was a very good and capable camera.

Regarding IQ, the E-620 and the E-30 were the same, with the same chip and picture processing. Differences between those two cameras were in the body design (size and shape). E-30 has slightly larger OVF and some additional features, like electronic level, for instance. I choosed the E-620 because of smaller size which I preffered.

But IMHO you can't compare E-620 to D200, those two cameras are rated in different levels.

New E-5 camera is a different story. I upgraded from E-620 to E-5 recently and I must admit both IQ and set of features (including fast focusing) are on higher level now, of course. But on the other side I lost that "small lightweight camera" feature I so appreciated with my E-620.

The E-5 will go well in comparison to D200 qualities.

FYI - I'm seeing street prices around $350-$400 for an E-620 body then it jumps to at least $800-$1000 for an E-5. Would the E-5 autofocus and dynamic range really be that much better?

Do not forget E-620 is old model not supplied anymore. E-5 is the only one Olympus 4/3 system camera still available on the market (with possibly E-7 on its way). Olympus does not support the whole wide range of 4/3 cameras, it focuses mainly to m4/3 now.

-- hide signature --

Petr
Zenfolio gallery at http://medsved.net

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow