Started Jul 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Marco Nero
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,060Gear list
Like?
G1X - Gold Nuggets (I Love this Camera!) PICS
Jul 31, 2012

A friend and fellow Gold Prospector recently returned from a trip to Western Australia where he found several gold nuggets with a fellow prospector near the gold town of Kalgoorlie. He came to visit me the other day to allow me to photograph some of the nuggets that he found with his metal detector. I've been out prospecting with him before but he's certainly found a larger piece than I've managed to dig (so far!).

I used the G1X to capture these shots of his nugget prior to cleaning the ironstone off it with a diluted form of hydrofluoric acid (a very dangerous acid that eats through rock in a matter of hours). He emailed me a picture today showing how much gold is in the nugget, now exposed since the acid bath began yesterday. I hope to photograph the nugget early next week with most of the ironstone gone.

These aren't perfectly set up. If I had the time to set up properly, I'd be shooting with reflectors and probably M-Mode so I could control both the aperture and shutter speed further. The larger nugget is just on 8 ounces in weight with approximately 7 to 7.5 ounces of gold in it. The smaller nuggets add up to another ounce.

G1X - (handheld) Av-Mode - 1/60s f/8.0 at 41.3mm iso320 + 580EX II (master) + 420EX II (slave) + Canon 500D Closeup Lens

G1X - (handheld) Av-Mode - 1/60s f/5.0 at 32.5mm iso250 + 580EX II (master) + 420EX II (slave) + Canon 500D Closeup Lens

G1X - (handheld) Av-Mode - 1/30s f/5.0 at 24.1mm iso1000 + 580EX II (master) + 420EX II (slave) + Canon 500D Closeup Lens

G1X - (handheld) Av-Mode - 1/60s f/16.0 at 25.9mm iso160 + 580EX II (master) + 420EX II (slave) + Canon 500D Closeup Lens

The quick homemade rig that we used to shoot the nuggets against a white background.

I don't usually show the methods I use but this might be useful to others who need to shoot jewellery etc up close. The 480EX II Speedlite flash was pointed almost directly into the back end of the lightbox and I cut a window into our "door" to allow me to point the G1X camera lens into the box. When the door is closed, the entire box is sealed except for the little window I cut out of the door. By coating the "door" with white paper, any light from the flashes would just bounce around inside. I left the 580EX II on the G1X and just pointed it towards the roof of the lightbox as best as I could. I used the white paper to create a quick White Balance although I didn't quite get it right for some of the out-of-box shots of the prospector holding his nugget. But it was close enough.

-- hide signature --
 Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M +6 more
Canon EOS 500D (EOS Rebel T1i / EOS Kiss X3)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow