Started Jul 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Adrian Harris
Senior MemberPosts: 2,999Gear list
Like?
KM A2 + Lightroom 4.1 = Great results
Jul 31, 2012

After over a year of non use, I dug out my old KM A2 in preperation for some forthcoming macro shoot (... as it still shoots better macros than all my other kit!)

...and panicked as I realised I no longer had Capture1 to process the RAW's on my new PC.

Remembering how horrid Photoshop used to process them - ghastly results, images with little detail and poor reds. ...and although Silkypix Free produces nice colours, trying to get detail without noise still seems impossible.

However as the main reason for my new PC was so that I could run Lightroom 4.1 I gave that a try. ....and am pleased to say the results to my eyes are very pleasing.

Comparing to the 'greenish' flesh tones that the A2's jpg's produce in shaded light, the LR4 converted shots were terrific, much warmer and more pleasing tones. LR4 also did a great job of removing noise from the A2's noisy sensor whilst retaining excellent detail. The other huge plus was that LR4 also has an excellent auto CA removal lens correction tool that further improves the image output (I didn't think it would as the GT lens was always excellent, but was pleased to be wrong). And the vastly improved highlight recovery was also a terrific surprise.

Sorry no pix to show at the moment, ...as I no longer keep my Photo PC connected to the internet - or even our local home network (Paranoia after getting a virus early in the year).

But the main point is, its great that some of the latest software not only still supports the old KM A2, but also gets improved results from it.

So my final conclusion is - if you can make do with 8Mp, LR4 works stunningly well with the A2.

H'mmm, on second thoughts, I have probably just driven the price of the older cameras up - not so good if I want to get a spare!
--
Adrian

http://www.t1000.co.uk/photography/gallery1/
http://www.t1000.co.uk/photography.htm

Pentax K-m (K2000)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow