Nikon (Mississauga)fixed my left AF problem... at 50mm

Started Jul 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ne beginner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,009Gear list
Like?
All very good points ... shame on Nikon, from the top down.
In reply to Matsu, Jul 31, 2012

Matsu wrote:

This Henry's is close to me. Were you a pre-order, or did you just walk in to find it in stock? I haven't followed that too closely.

After my problems with the D7000, which Nikon did fix - they replaced the AF assembly - though it took two trips, and about 6 weeks without my camera between them - I decided not to be an early adopter this time around, just to be safe, not because I expected anything problematic. Then supply became constrained, so I just decided to wait until it settled down to see what the market had to offer at that point. So I just have no idea what the actual local order queue looked/looks like for this purchase

Then people went wild with pre orders, and then, only after some months, did we start to hear about widespread* focus issues.

I know some will chime in to chastise the characterization of the left AF as "widespread" so I'll qualify it. It seems to affect enough cameras regardless of production period, serial number, or retail availability, that even though it's not the majority of cameras, you can't buy it without fear that you will get an affected unit. And, you still have no guarantee that Nikon can/will fix it.

This is why a quiet fix is not appropriate. You have to know they can make the camera right if you get one that isn't. What if they can't really?

When they released the SB900 - another early adopter mistake on my part - they didn't cop to the problem. They labelled it a feature and quietly replaced the model very shortly afterwards. I understand that the case is a bit different with flashes - they are a quasi consumable under some usage conditions - but it leaves a bitter taste. I sold it for a small loss almost immediately and picked up an SB 700 - virtually unbreakable under any condition, fantastic flash! I slave my SB800's to it.

This is not a situation where they can ignore the problem only to release a new D810/D810e next year.

ne beginner's gear list:ne beginner's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow