Olympus E620 as a Nikon D200 replacement?

Started Jul 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MarkusF
Regular MemberPosts: 208
Like?
Olympus E620 as a Nikon D200 replacement?
Jul 31, 2012

Short question -

I'm considering replacing my Nikon D200 with an Olympus E620. I am considering switching based on a possibly feable attempt to simplify my life as well as size/weight concerns. So if the E620 is equal to the D200 then I'm fine with it; I just don't want to go backward.

1) Is the autofocus speed comparable on the E620? For autofocus speed - this would involve shooting my kids' sports activity and some motorsports/race track work. Right now the D200 does the job with either Sigma 100-300 f4 or 50-150 f2.8 and teleconverter. I'm looking at the Olympus 50-200 f2.8-3.5 for the E620.
2) Is basic image quality/dynamic range comparable on the E620?

3) Is there another Olympus four-thirds dSLR I should be considering? I'd really like to get the E-5 but used prices are still pretty high on that...

Longer story:

After years of shooting Nikons with f2.8 glass I got a Panasonic G3 mostly for pix and video of the kids. I thought my wife would primarily use it because of the size/ease of use but I find myself grabbing it more and more. To the point where I got a used Olympus four thirds 12-54 f2.8-3.5 lens for it. Now I'm thinking, why do I still have my Nikon stuff when I use it for a handful of "artistic" hikes and track days per year?

I really think the solution for me would be to go totally m4/3....BUT...the lenses just aren't there in terms of options and pricing yet. The new Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 looks like it will be a great daily lens in a year or so when the price drops. I'd really love to see Olympus redo some of their mid-range zooms, and of course a good telephoto seems lacking. Which has me thinking of getting an E620 with some good glass to use for hiking/track work over the next 2-3 years while I wait and see what new lenses come out. I've already used the 12-54 with an adapter on the G3 and for non-sports applications I'm fine with the autofocus speed; while the size of the 50-200 would be a bit cumbersome I'm assuming autofocus would also be ok for non-sports and I could also use it on the G3 in a pinch as well.

Current setup -
Kid pix/video: Panasonic G3, 14-42x, 45-175x, Oly 12-54 w/adapter
Track/hiking: Nikon D200, 17-50 f2.8, 50-150 f2.8, 1.4x teleconverter

Proposed setup -
Kid pix/video: Panasonic G3, 14-42x, 45-175x
Track/hiking: Olympus E620, 12-54 f2.8-3.5, 50-200 f2.8-3.5, 1.4x teleconverter

Going over to Olympus reduces lens count from 5 to 4, reduces weight/size, and also allows me to use four thirds lenses on both bodies with adapter.

Let me know if you think I'm crazy....or not....

• Markus

Nikon D200 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-620
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow