My first wedding

Started Jul 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
Queso
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?
Re: My first wedding
In reply to Michael Thomas Mitchell, Jul 30, 2012

Thanks for the help, I will wait to hear from the couple to determine if I really can handle it, from your story as well as a few others it seems typical that if the B&G aren't informed or shown a "shot list" prior to the big day something is bound to happen and make the photographers life tougher, which is why I sent one to them to make sure that I at least could give them an honest opinion. In the end I understand that it's no easy task and the amount of work that comes with even the simplest of weddings can be overwhelming for a pro and by no means am I a pro, but if I am going to do this I'll need all the help I can get and your advice will come in handy. I'm sure as professionals you all get tired of people like me asking for advice so I understand Daro's post, it's advice I've already heard/read and in the end it may keep from doing it, but I might as well start learning as much as I can so I can be prepared.

I won't be renting another full setup, as I figured it was going to be too much work to have all of that gear going at one time and I'd be better off just focusing on one thing at a time. I've got an arsenal of batteries and chargers, as well as memory cards so I feel comfortable with that gear. I've got tell the end of September to practice and work on the different setups I could use as far as lighting goes and luckily I'll have access to the house well before the big day so I'll be able to figure out how its going to be lit at night and where everything will be setup.

Thanks again.

Michael Thomas Mitchell wrote:

... Second, get more light. You may get some ambient light shots, but once that sun goes down it's portable light or nothing. If working alone, put on light on a stand and trigger it wirelessly. A second flash on-camera can provide some fill. A 1:2 ratio of off to on-camera light is a good general setting for this sort of thing. If you get a second light, then use a large bracket, or at least hand-hold the flash off-camera. Anything closer and you may as well be using a point-and-shoot. Also, make sure you have LOTS of batteries. Your working distances are going to eat up the juice. The reception from the aforementioned wedding took place outdoors. I went through 9 sets of AA batteries. (I use 8-AA battery packs on each flash to dramatically improve longevity and flash recycle times. I carry 16-20 SETS (64-80 batteries) to every wedding, along with a rapid charger. The rapid charge is hell on batteries, but it's the only thing that will get you through a rough, fast-paced night. Normally, I charge my batteries nice and SLOW, with a top-quality "smart" charger.)

Finally, don't worry about the shot list too much on the day of the wedding. Read it, learn it, and then put it away. You won't have free hands to fiddle with a piece of paper while you WORK. The list they are giving you should be used to basically scare you away from this freebie. Again, if it's as simple as they say, it wouldn't need a list in the first place.

I hope this info helps, no matter what you do. Sorry to discourage you about doing it in the first place, but both Daro and I are coming from a perspective of EXPERIENCE, and we are trying to HELP you. We've both seen plenty of weddings "on a budget" that turned out not to be so "budgetary" after all. And we've seen plenty of weddings that were intended to be simple only to be quite involved... and complex to shoot. Outdoor events that take place in the evening are especially problematic.

Best of luck with this

Queso wrote:

Queso's gear list:Queso's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow