Advice on portrait lens needed - 85/1.8 or 70-200/2.8 ?

Started Jul 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Martin_MM
Regular MemberPosts: 142
Like?
Re: Get the 70-200/2.8 first (samples)
In reply to Martin_MM, Jul 30, 2012

....continued:

But.... maybe you would like to listen to my "development" story (if not, just skip it :-): Being kind of walk-arounder, sometimes the weight really starts piXXXing me off, to be 100% honest. Of course not after a one or two-hour walk - but having it on your neck or back for half a day (small familiy trip) kind of tends to spoil the light-hearted joy of photography for me. Really. This may sound like an emotional and superficial note but it ie big thing for me (as I have found out myslef just recently). Then I often say to myself "ok, the zoom flexibility is great but this slavery is enough, I´m sure I would rather miss some shots in exchange for the light bulk and spontaneous joy of taking pictures (with thin DOF, which is very important for me). Then at home I see the pics and always stop and say "wow, this one really wouldn´t be possible without the zoom flexibility and extremely fast focus tracking"... On the other hand, there are many situations where when you point this "gun" at people, they notice immediately and start acting... All the exeptional moment, facel expression etc. is gone... Would´t one have more unique pictures with discreet lens like 85mm ?

So from me, no clear answer because I´m not 100% sure myself yet. Anyway the older I am, the more I understand the magic of Leica M9 and say 35mm/1.4 and 90mm/f2 lenses (leaving the snobbery that it accompanies out of account now).... On the flipside, of course many shots are simply impossible without what DSLR + 70-200 brings and I definitely don´t mean just sports shooting. Like with everything, there is always something for something, i think.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow