Nikon D800E v.s Hasselblad H4D40: the end of medium format superiority?

Started Jul 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
leecamera
Contributing MemberPosts: 520
Like?
Re: Nikon D800E v.s Hasselblad H4D40: the end of medium format superiority?
In reply to Alex Koloskov, Jul 30, 2012

Very interesting...

I shot with a H4D40 recently and wasn't expecting to find the amazing difference it offered.

True, I was using LR to process the images and it took a while to develop a preset that would give a decent image (they were rubbish with LR's standard settings,) but once I'd done so the images were stellar.

Eyes took on a creamy white quality and there was something beautifully natural about the high resolution and definition.

But what truly did it for me was the focusing system. It has this amazing ability to recognise when you have moved the camera and make subtle adjustments. No matter what F-Stop I shot at, it was almost impossible to get an OOF shot. Focus and recomose no problem - it hit the mark every time.

Alas, shooting at 40MP via FW to a laptop was often too much data and despite my assistant's reminders to slow down my shooting style, we did end up crashing the poor thing more than once.

There is some gorgeous about how the Hass looks and operates. If only I had more work that could justify the £££ I would happily dro a few pennies on a modest system.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow