manual lens image stabilization

Started Jul 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ishpuini
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,018Gear list
Like?
Re: manual lens image stabilization
In reply to GeoffNS, Jul 30, 2012

GeoffNS wrote:

Excellent answer Wim. I don't shoot video, but I have occassionally used SR with some old manual lenses on my K10D and it worked well. I was hoping to use SR with DA Limited lenses on my Pentax Q. Of course for long lens, like a DA*300 a tripod will clearly be necessary, but for the DA21 & DA40 I hoped handheld photography with SR would be possible. Could a firmware update enable the Q's SR to work for such focal lengths, or would that be too much to expect?
Regards, Geoff.

Would a firmware upgrade be able to allow manual input of focal length? Sure it could, but I'm just not sure the physical limitations of the Q's SR would allow sufficient movement to accommodate SR for typical APS-C focal lengths?

After all, the Q is a pretty small package, so I expect the SR mechanism as implemented in the Q not to have much play. Possibly it was only designed to enable the sensor to move just enough to allow for stabilization of the short focal lengths of the Q system lenses? As such, more extreme movement as would be required for the narrow field-of-view of K-system lenses on the Q may simply not be possible within the frame of the Q's SR? Impossible to be sure of this of course.

Manual input could of course enable SR for some shorter D- or C-mount lenses (or the Sonetar, though I expect 25mm is already stretching it), as far as the focal lenghts of these are within the range of the Q-mount system. However, none of these are Pentax made, so the commercial drive for Pentax to develop support for this glass is missing. Sole exception would be the Pentax ultra wide angles (such as the DA12-24, the DA14, DA15), but these hardly have added value because the Q system already has those focal lengths covered (since the 02 standard zoom goes up to 15mm).

Wim

-- hide signature --

Belgium, GMT+1

Ishpuini's gear list:Ishpuini's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow