Started Jul 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CreativelyKeri
New MemberPosts: 10Gear list
Like?
Lens Quandary
Jul 30, 2012

Looking for my esteemed colleagues' advice on lenses. I am purchasing a D-800 shortly. My subjects include: landscape and architectural, flora, some fauna mostly butterflies, and musicians/portraits. Broad range I know. So, I've been perusing the plethora of articles reviewing any number of lenses and combinations, and still cannot decide which way to go. My thoughts..

1. I am definitely going with the 16-35 f/4 zoom - I don't need the f/2.8, I've read that the 16-35 is in fact sharper than the 17-35, and VR is a plus... beyond this choice, it get confusing....

2. I'm pretty much decided on the 70-200 VR for nature and portraiture work.. the 80-200 was always one of my favorite lenses, and I can only expect the 70-200 to be that much better.

3. Midrange.... I've gone from smply getting a 50mm, and maybe an 85mm so that I'm not always carrying around the 70-200, to thinking about the 24-120 as a "general purpose" lens.... I've read so many reviews on the 24-120, it's hard to figure, though it does seem to be unilateral that it is soft in the corners; however, I've seen some amazing in=mages taken with it. VR would be an added plus.. Just curious if anyone has been using this lens extensively on a D-800 and what their impressions are.

My last consideration is to go all primes.... or the 16-35 and then all primes.... Feels like I am overthinking all of this, but I do wish to maximize the abilities of this camera. Thanks everyone in advance for your fedback...

CreativelyKeri's gear list:CreativelyKeri's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Apple Aperture
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
wowNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow