D7000 settings for fast moving targets

Started Jul 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
Boushh_TFA
Junior MemberPosts: 47
Like?
Re: D7000 settings for fast moving targets
In reply to aesmith, Jul 30, 2012

As you can see, everybody has his/her own take on making these kind of pictures. Therefore, you should use the given advice as a starting point, not as THE settings.

Personaly, I do not shoot Birds in flight but planes and fighterjets. I may occasionaly shoot birds because they happen the be near by.

Here are some thoughts to consider IMHO:

• Swallows have very erratic flight paths, they are fast and small and thus are very difficult to follow. I suggest you start with other birds that have a more predicatble flight path, are bigger and slower (like ducks, swans, doves, and so on).

• Then you have the magic three: Aperture, Shutterspeed and ISO. Unless you are (very) good at tracking/panning, you want a high shutterspeed. 1/1000th may not be enough. To be able to use high shutterspeeds you need a wider aperture, and/or a higher ISO. The aperture may depend on how sharp the lens is at certain apertures. That may limit the apertures you can select. ISO is then the only variable left. So, setting Auto ISO is a good start, set the limit to ISO 800. If your widest aperture doesn't allow for sharp enough pictures, you need to set the camera to Manual, select the right aperture and shutterspeed. With good weather you should generaly be in the right ISO range. If your widest aperture is sharp enough, you can set the camera to Shutterspeed Priority and select the right shutterspeed. You also want to set the minimum shutterspeed on the Auto ISO setting to the shutterspeed you selected.

• When it comes to AF, I would personaly choose the 39 Points option. The more AF Points, the better the AF system can track objects across the frame.

• You also may want to change the Focus Hold setting. With this setting you can select how long to Focus system will wait for the object to return in frame before focusing on something else.

And of course: shoot lots and lots. I also suggest you shoot sets using fixed settings so you can compare the influence of changes you make between sets.

Somewhere you will find what works best for you.

Happy shooting

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow