Autofocus on 75-300mm lens sticking but almost ok - lubrication?

Started Jul 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pavinder
Regular MemberPosts: 213
Like?
Autofocus on 75-300mm lens sticking but almost ok - lubrication?
Jul 30, 2012

My EF 75-300mm IS lens hasn't been used for quite a while.

Now when I try to use it in AF mode, the autofocus sticks. If I slightly twist the barrel a little to "help" it during autofocussing, it can find correct focus without problems, but of course I'm concerned that I may be causing damage by doing so. I don't have to turn it forcefully but it is slightly more than a gentle nudge.

It just feels as if it needs loosening a little, oiling/lubricating in some way.

The weather is also very humid here at the moment - whether that could be a cause of the issue or not I don't know.

I considered that perhaps there could be a little dust inside but this doesn't seem to make sense - in manual mode the barrel turns smoothly and effortlessly.

Advice please! I'm not about to start spraying WD40 into my lens, but my impression is that it just requires a little loving maintenance. It certainly doesn't seem like a big problem warranting hundreds of dollars worth of delays and repairs.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow