From 350D to 650D or 60D? (Plus: how little is my stuff worth?)

Started Jul 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jollino
Regular MemberPosts: 327Gear list
Like?
From 350D to 650D or 60D? (Plus: how little is my stuff worth?)
Jul 30, 2012

Hello all,

my current gear is not so current anymore and I'm looking around for some upgrades. Budget is tight at the moment so I'm just trying to make up my mind, but I'd like some advice because I admit I've been a little out of the loop.

My current gear:

• Canon EOS 350D w/ battery grip

• Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3 (not OS)

• Canon EF-S 50mm f/1.8

• Canon EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 (kit lens, basically never used it)

• Sigma EF-500 DG Super flash

My main area is macrophotography, which I do using contactless extension tubes and the 18-200, and – as of late – portraiture, for which I use the 50mm with both the Sigma flash and an old Agfatronic flash via a Cactus V2 wireless system.

Everything works smoothly and I never had the feeling that either of my tools were on their deathbeds, but since I'm starting to use them more after a semi-hiatus, they're starting to feel "tight". I'm particularly annoyed at the ISO 1600 limit on the camera, especially when doing macro. The slow continuous drive is also a bit of an annoyance in that area. The fact that the images are only 8 megapixels is starting to show at all times, though.

I had been aiming at the 60D for a while, but the 650D seems particularly interesting. It doesn't have the same continuous drive speed as the 60D, but it's still faster than my 350D and it sports quite a few improvements. The downside is a slower continuous speed, but I can live with it (especially since it seems better at video, and that's something I'd like to try doing.)

The main issue is that most of my gear would be rendered obsolete. The 18-200 lens should work, but the flash won't work for sure. Sigma can reflash it for €50 + VAT + double shipment, so at that point I'd rather just replace it with a new unit. The battery grip also has to be replaced, but I can live without it for a while.

To sum up, the advices I'd like to have are...

1) For what I do, would I need a 60D? It feels like the 650D is, in some areas, even better than the 60D.

2) How much would my camera + kit lens + battery grip be worth? (Feel free to laugh!) I'd have no reason to keep it, and any money I can make off it would be a step towards the new gear. I may throw in the 18-200 too, if finances allow me to upgrade to its stabilized cousin (I know it's not the best lens out there, but I like who versatile it is as an all-around lens.) I'd keep the flash since it works well as a slave, triggered by other flashes. If the gear is worth too little I may keep the camera and perform surgery on it to turn it into an IR-only unit...

3) Are third-parties battery grips reliable? I came across a few brandless names that also provide a timelapse function, and that sounds pretty neat.

Thank you in advance. :)--
Daniele
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jollino/

Jollino's gear list:Jollino's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow