G1X vs. Eos M

Started Jul 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jim
Jim
Senior MemberPosts: 1,661Gear list
Like?
Re: G1X wins (strangely) but these are two different cams...
In reply to Marco Nero, Jul 30, 2012

Marco Nero wrote:

Two very different cameras. Completely different from one another and incomparable.

However, the EOS-M is ONLY as good as the lens used on it.

The G1X is a self-contained unit which has a lens that is truely well ranged. It is also a complete camera with all the features on it that the EOS-M is lacking... this includes a Flip-LCD, built-in flash, an OVF etc...

So if you rwally want to compare them, the G1X is a complete camera and the EOS-M is not because it lacks numerous features that are on the G1X. To get the same lens range in the EOS-M will cost you much more money to find a suitable lens and the eventual weight difference will make the EOS-M heavier.

Disadvantages of the EOS-M include an exposed sensor when changing or removing lenses, no built-in flash, a sometimes unresponsive touch screen (which requires sticky or dirty fingers to come in contact with it to operate the camera)... etc.

Which is better? The G1X is. Even if you find a comparable lens for the EOS-M, the G1X will still be less expensive, lighter, smaller, and more complete. Even with a VERY small f/2 lens on it, the EOS-M is the same size as the G1X.

I agree with you. I just don't fully appreciate quite what market the EOS-M is targeted at. If you attach anything but a pancake lens you might as well attach it to a body that is not awkward to hold as well and has the desired control convenience associated with larger-bodied cameras. Given these issues, it would appear that the G1X offers similar image quality that can address more shooting situations in a much more convenient package. The EOS-M would have made more sense if the G1X didn't exist.

...just my take.

Jim

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
G1XNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow