Started Jul 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,843
Like?
Moon with clouds
Jul 30, 2012

Looking outside this evening, light clouds were drifting across a 3/4 moon, looking as lovely as that combination always looks. Ah, what the heck, let's get the EM5 and see what we can do.

This was revisiting an old effort that I had tried a couple of years ago with the E3 and PL25, and was totally frustrated with the results - the image dissolved into big fat bands when I tried to push anything in PP.

I used both the 4/3 PL25 and the 45 1.8. The PL25 shots were the most attractive, the 45 1.8 was a bit harsh. This reinforces my completely non technical opinion that the PL25 is a magical lens. Some of it's renderings look like they've been sprinkled with pixie dust. Something magical going on there.

Shot at ISO800, which I've found is as high as you can go with the EM5 on night sky shots before you start seeing a hint of banding. Note the night sky qualifier, it's one of the tougher subjects you can tackle. In more conventional photos, I've gone to 6400 without seeing banding.

PL25, F2.2, 1/6 exposure handheld (the EM5's IBIS comes through again). Cut highlights, boosted shadows, cut black way down, pushed clarity up. Tried spot adjustment of the moon, but it looked terrible. There is noise visible, but this was a tradeoff between noise and detail - crank up NR to the point where it smooths out, and the clouds lose most of their detail. Still, given how dismal the results were a couple of years ago with a lesser sensor, it was delightful to at least get something this time.

The result was mildly interesting, in an Impressionist sort of way...

Olympus E-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow