Started Jul 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
KingSpence
Regular MemberPosts: 164
Like?
NEX 5N out to Yosemite, Need Advice!
Jul 30, 2012

Hey all. I'm taking my NEX 5N out to Yosemite in about 3 weeks and need advice on a couple of things. I consider myself a novice photographer.

As far as lenses go, I only have the stock 18-55mm kit lens. I would like something with a little more zoom so I can capture wildlife at a distance and something sharper than the kit lens. I am considering the Sigma 30mm f/2.8 and either the 18-200mm or the 55-200mm. I would like to get the Zeiss over the Sigma but since I'm a novice I wouldn't want to pay that much for glass and not know how to take full advantage of it. I'm also leaning towards the 55-200mm over the 18-200mm mainly because of the pricing. Would you guys recommend the 55-200mm? Does it produce clean and sharp results? Is the 18-200mm THAT big of an improvement over it?

Also today I took the 5N out on a short hike. I'd like to shoot manual focus all the time because that way I know for sure I'm getting clean results but it's just not practical. I tried the intelligent auto mode and it works sometimes but it never quite gets the lighting correct. It was an extremely bright sunny day with a lot of shade so some areas look over exposed and others underexposed. I've also found that while auto focusing many of my shots just aren't sharp if there are subjects at different distances from the camera. Does anyone else have this problem? How do you photography pros combat this? Do you shoot auto mode or one of the other modes like shutter priority?

I'm also thinking I'll need the electronic view finder since Yosemite will be sunny but it makes the camera look pretty ridiculous. What do you guys recommend as far as batteries?

Thanks for any help!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow