A small alternative to superzoom bridge cameras.

Started Jul 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
Stephen Barrett
Regular MemberPosts: 410Gear list
Like?
Re: A small alternative to superzoom bridge cameras.
In reply to Michael Melb AU, Jul 30, 2012

Hello Michael,

No, I'm not comparing the cameras at the same 35mm-equivalent focal length. I'm just calculating the smallest angle that each camera is capable of resolving. So the pictures may be all different sizes, but you can make them all the same size in post-processing for comparison. That should not affect the resolution, but would give you a fair comparison of image quality.

The formulas consider only the resolutions of perfect lenses and sensors and their combinations. The accuracy of the formulas should be taken with a grain of salt and there is no consideration of "sweet spot" and other engineering factors, which I have no idea of how to model. So don't buy a camera based on my calculations. They should be regarded as a rough guideline about which cameras may be worth considering as a birding camera, for example. In this thread, the calculations seem to correspond approximately to visual tests of the HS20, P510 and Nikon1 V1 with 300 mm f/5.6 lens. Tests that I performed on my SX30 produced a resolution (approx 9% MTF) of 30 microradians and the formulas calculated 30.7 microradians. So I am encouraged that the formulas provide an approximate description of some of the most important factors that determine resolution.

Stephen Barrett's gear list:Stephen Barrett's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX30 IS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow