Olympics Men's Cycle Road Race using GH1

Started Jul 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
nrwhitman
Regular MemberPosts: 386Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympics Men's Cycle Road Race using GH1
In reply to yotes, Jul 30, 2012

Not able to go to the olympics, but there was a local cycling event in Grand Rapids, Michigan I was able to attend. First time shooting such an event. Was a Criterium so they went round and round giving me a chance to experiment, that and to move to where the crowds were not (and it wasn't that crowded).

Used an EM5 and EPM1 Think the EPM1 would have been comparable to your GH1. Didn't find focus speed to be an issue on either, I generally prefocused or focused and shot a sequence without moving the camera. Regarding sequence shooting, EM5 is way fast, for a short burst anyway. Experimented with a number of positions. Inside curve, outside curve, telephoto down the stretch, down low, close wide angle. Had a 12-50, 45 and 40-150.

As others have mentioned, was amazed by the speed of the action so pre-focus is useful. Really little time to adjust except for things in the distance. Should have brought my 70-300 also but the 40-150 served well, just a bit more to crop. For anything at all close relied on the sequence shooting, would single auto focus on the first rider to come by, hope I got good focus or prefocus on a feature on the street, say a manhole cover or painted stripe. Would then shoot a sequence as they came by, no panning just caught as they came by holding the camera static. Cheating a bit with the sequence shooting maybe but will look at it as using the capabilities of the camera.

Anyway, below are some samples.

nrwhitman's gear list:nrwhitman's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow