Started Jul 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
blstandifer
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Canon 60d as first DSLR???????
Jul 29, 2012

I am trying to post to the forum but am having difficulty. If I have two messages I appologize ahead of time.

Please note that I have no previous experience with DSLR cameras.

I am about to purchase my first DSLR. I have looked at the Canon 60d, a few Nikon, and a Canon 7d. I am afraid the 7d would be overkill as my first dslr so I am 99% set on the Canon 60d. If anyone thinks the 7d is not overkill please share your thoughts or if the 60d would not be an appropriate fit.

Here is what the camera would be used for. wildlife, landscape, macro, childrens sports (cheerleading), children portrait, pets, and situations needed for my photography course in graphic design.

My main concern (other than if the 60d would be appropriate) is if I should purchase the kit lens or simply the body and a few good quality lenses. At the moment I can not spring for the $1000 lenses plus the body. However, here are the two lenses I am looking at (feel free to provide feedback and suggestions):

EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
EF 28mm f/1.8 USM

At the moment I am considering these two lenses plus the body. I am still confused if I need the kit lens as well.

Another thought I have is this.... I get a discount at Canon with my college. However, someone suggested I purchased a refurb camera... any thoughts?

Here are my options with my discount.

Body only refurb ..... $711.00
Body only new ..... $900.00

Body + lens kit refurb..... $912
Body + lens kit new ..... $1200

Thank you for your time and suggestions.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow