Need advice on the ethics of shooting on the streets

Started Apr 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
Charles Pike
Senior MemberPosts: 1,179Gear list
Like?
what a newspaper photographer once told me.
In reply to MayaTlab0, Jul 29, 2012

What I shoot isn't all street photography. Some I call street portraiture where I ask if I can take the picture. Some is documentary of the street. For documentary, I ask if I can take a photo of what they are doing? A newspaper photographer taught me that one. People doing something are often proud of what they do, or at least interested that we might find what they do interesting. If I find some worker doing something like planting flowers or washing windows, I often say I like taking pictures of people working, do you mind if I take a picture of you while you are? I am not getting in their way, ever, or I wouldn' ask. I have never been turned down, as I often say it is sometimes hard to find someone who is actually working. That said I often just take a shot and move on with out their knowing. When I do ask, I often leave a card where they can see the shot. I tell them that it might not make it to my web site but it might. I have had people come and look, some have even added a link to my page.
http://www.photosbypike.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow