Olympus 12mm f/2.0 or Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 for portrait

Started Jul 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
Vittorio Fracassi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,348Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus 12mm f/2.0 or Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 for portrait
In reply to michael1333, Jul 29, 2012

Once you make M4/3 your favourite kit you have to reinvent your “portrait style”. Ambient rather than isolated from the background, or “all facial details in focus” rather than “just the nearest eye”, in particular if shooting conditions require shooting at close quarter.

Really shallow DOF, even with APS-C is not enough to get the effect of a 90 to150mm lens opened at f1.2 to 2.0 with a full frame camera anyway, so why chase it?

On the other hand the size and a less aggressive pose of the photographer (through the use of a tilt screen or a tilted view finder) make close quarter captures less obtrusive and subjects more at ease.

In this respect I find that the Pan 25/1.4 is fine (I used to have the 4/3 AF version with adaptor, which I sold), spherical aberration can be compensated by including more of the subject in the frame and using Lightroom in PP (better capture RAW).

The Oly 45/1.8 is a must lens, it has the same resolution as the Planar 1.4/50 wide open (the latter gets better and better as the f n. increases more than the Oly). It’s relatively inexpensive and very light. DOF is reasonably shallow.
I would sell the two Zeiss lenses and buy the Pan 25/1.4 and Oly 45/1.8.

A few examples of portraits, ambient and not, with focals from 20 to 90mm at the link:
http://www.zoomview.it/best%20G1%20page3.html
Regards, Vittorio

PS. If you have enough money buy the Oly 12/2 also, it’s a great little lens incredibly immune to flare!

Vittorio Fracassi's gear list:Vittorio Fracassi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow