Spider Holster in Italy

Started Jul 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
NicholasS
Regular MemberPosts: 156Gear list
Like?
Re: Spider Holster in Italy
In reply to greg griffin, Jul 29, 2012

Italy and Spain are the 2 places I have been recently and I would say they are relatively safe but do not draw attention. Whilst overall these countries safe there are places that are not so safe so use common sense (I am 5'10" 182lb fit man and not easily intimidated). When I was recently in Barcelona a local woman came up to me and warned me that I was likely to loose the camera if I kept it out all the time and not across my chest.

The holster screams tourist and I would avoid. I do not use a Canon camera strap (I have a Crumpler strap which is so much more comfortable), tape over logos and try to avoid the huge Camera bag. When I go out I chose a smaller bag and wear it across my chest (Crumpler 4 million dollar in Black).

Best advice is get everything insured and if you get mugged hand it over and walk away!

Enjoy the trip and use common sense. I travel a lot (4 times a year at least) and walk all over the place and have only been in real danger in the US (NC - Raleigh Durham but I was living there at the time) and Prague (shown a gun and asked to pay $100USD for a cab fare). I find engaging locals increases enjoyment of the trip and makes things alot safer!

Nick

NicholasS's gear list:NicholasS's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow