Attention Tamron 24-70 VC owners

Started Jul 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Horshack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,487
Like?
Apparently the VC "jumpiness" is typical for Tamron
In reply to Horshack, Jul 29, 2012

Did some research and it appears the jumping/shifting of the image within 1 second of engaging VC is somewhat normal for Tamron's implementation (across all their VC lenses, not just the 24-70). The recommended workaround is to wait 1 second after engaging VC before taking a photo. That shouldn't be a problem for me because I intend to use the lens with static subjects. However even with that workaround I'm finding that the vibration control of the Tamron falls well short of the 3 stops I've seen reported/reviewed elsewhere.

Here's a photo sequence demonstrating this. I compared the Tamron 24-70 to the new Nikon 24-85mm VR with 3 back-to-back shots each. Both were on a D5100 @ 70mm, so an effective FOV of 105mm. I shot @ 25mm, so a test of 2 stops of VC/VR. The tamron exposed 1 stop brighter (and 1 stop larger aperture) due to the aforementioned aperture lever calibration problem on my copy; I've adjusted the exposure down in PP.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow